Monday, September 28, 2009

Zipit Z2 Development "Kit"

I was reading over the weekend about how you could install "scratchbox" and use it to build software for use on your Zipit Z2. I do not own one of these yet, but when I get one (and I will) I will probably want to go right to work on developing new applications or compiling existing ones to experiment with.

If you don't all ready have a Linux box set up, it could be quite a bit of work to prepare a development platform to use. I opted to create a VirtualBox for this purpose. Assuming that other folks are going to be building Linux boxes just to compile applications, it only makes sense to share my VirtualBox creation.

I have created a Torrent which includes a Debian 5 VirtualBox image which had scratchbox installed and configured out of the box. Unpack it, boot it, and get to compiling! Note that this is a compilation of entirely *free* software. No funny business or illegalities here.

The torrent can be found here: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5103140 and because TPB has been having "issues" lately you can also get it here: http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/133678149/?tab=summary

Seeding this first day is going to be slow. Tomorrow I will bring the Torrent into the office with me and kick up the bandwidth a bit.

If you haven't seen the Z2 in action yet, check out this site.

5 comments:

  1. May I bother you for a seed on this once again? I see a couple others in leech mode. We'd all appreciate to build on the fruits of your effort.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is once again seeded!

    I have had several requests to update this image and make it easier to use. It's on my list of things. But in the mean time, you should be able to download the old stuff once again.

    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you infinitely! If you'd like to split any work on that list of things related to this img, please do let me know. It's a good starting point for my contribution.

    Best Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, I have received it all. I will burn this image and torrent to a DVD in case you require any help re-seeding in the future. I'll try to find private contact info for you on your site to send my email to flag me down for any re-seed requests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should be able to get this new one up sometime this upcoming week. Just drop me an email at ray AT oddree.com and I will notify you when it's available. ;-)

    ReplyDelete