Tuesday, August 03, 2004

The winner, it is me!
I took my Microsoft 70-290 exam today, and passed it with an extremely large margin. This makes me about two-thirds Microsoft Certified System Administrator, and about one third MCSE. I still have about 4 more exams to go which is a bit depressing. But let's not focus on the negative. Look at my score report.



You see all that black there? That's right. I am a PIMP. My score was a whopping 916 out of 1000. The insane amount of studying I did leading up to the exam definitely paid off in a big way.

You see the big red bottle? That's by reward. You see, if I pass an exam, I drink a big tasty beer. If I fail an exam, I drink a big less-tasty cheap beer (or two). This is my policy and I am sticking to it.

And so now, for a momemt, I can take a deep breath and relax. Tomorrow I will begin to study for my 70-291 exam which I will need to take in about a week if I intend on obtaining my MCSE by October 1st.

Needless to say my boss was impressed. She was all like, "Is this the test that people are saying is so hard? - You nailed it!". She was about to call me a pimp, I just know it.

Current Mood: Pretty damned happy
Musical Inspiration: This calls for something techno-ish


Historic Comments
Congrats! I have passed the CISSP exam (just waiting to meet the work experience requirement) and attained SSCP. Next I am going to go for MCSE. What test would you recommend I start with?
_shaun | Homepage | 08.03.04 - 6:03 pm | #

Well done Ray, always a fantastic feeling when you reach greatness.
[eD] | Homepage | 08.03.04 - 7:36 pm | #

_shaun: Being the vendor-neutral whore that I am, I would start with Security+, or A+ and Net+. You can use A+ and Net+ as one elective, or Security+ as a full elective towards your MCSE (with Security specialization). The exams cost about $60 more, but the certs are lifetime. And they make you look neat on a resume.

But I have just started beating down the track in order, starting with Windows XP (70-270). Give that exam some time, and you will get a feel for Microsofts insane Q and A methods.

Congrats on your CISSP!!! That's extremely respectable. I would like to obtain that one myself. It's an expensive one though, and I dont think my employer would float the bill since I couldn't teach it. :-( And teaching is my primary role.

eD: Thank you!! Thank you!!
Ray | 08.04.04 - 8:47 am | #

Ray! You better be at DefCon next year.

No excuses.
conundrum | 08.05.04 - 10:06 pm | #

Ray,

What materials did you use to prepare for the 290 exam? Are you a fan of the Microsoft press books? I like Boson for the practice exams. Who do you prefer?

conundrum,

Were you at Defcon? I am contemplating going next year. It would be my first trip. Is it really worth it?
_shaun | Homepage | 08.06.04 - 1:47 pm | #

con: You know, I will get down there one of these years. Two things are always against me though. I'm always teaching a lot that time of year ... and I am broke. One of these years man ... one of these years.

_shaun: I really don't care much for the MS books. They are geared more toward the product, and less towards the exam. Generally, I want to know the product very well. But passing the test is my real objective. For exam passing, I am all about Sybex books. They put the exam number right there on the cover to remove all doubt about why you bought the book.

For practice tests, nothing beats 'the real thing'. It's always nice when you can get a fairly recent copy of TestKing questions. Then you have some idea of the scope of the questions (if not the actual questions). Use caution though, I have found TK often answers the questions incorrectly.

-Ray
Ray | 08.07.04 - 9:24 am | #

Congrats Ray! How about getting a few more bottles for us all to drink to your success...okay next time.

You better remember or I will send the Blue Monster after you!!!
Beta | Homepage | 08.08.04 - 6:32 pm | #

DefCon is absolutely worth it.

Ray - Bring Rotary and the kids and call it a family vacation. ;P
conundrum | 08.10.04 - 12:39 pm | #

Congrats!, but what's cheaper and less-tasty than a Bud 40oz. blechh! =P
j-dogg | 08.10.04 - 4:01 pm | #

No comments:

Post a Comment